With the start of a new year, a lot of people are setting new goals. Many people target a promotion as part of their business goals, but are they really promotable? In studies done by both the Carnegie Institute of Technology and the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching only about 15% of one’s financial success is because of one’s technical knowledge. In most cases, technical knowledge is just the requirement to be considered for a job. These studies also revealed that success is 85% due to personality and the ability to lead people. Another way to look at it is that your knowledge is your ticket for entry, but what separates you from the rest of the applicants for a promotion is your attitude and skill in dealing with people.
The key to getting promoted in today’s business environment is to focus on developing the “people side” of your leadership skill set. Here are 5 golden “C’s” to focus on in 2019:
1. Confidence – Today more than ever you need to demonstrate confidence for others to follow you. If you appear to hesitate on making decisions and doubt yourself, then your team will be less likely to follow you. You need to radiate confidence and assertiveness to gain the trust and respect of your team. Remember that there is a fine line between confidence and cockiness so make sure you always communicate in a way that is respectful to your team.
2. Communication – Great communicators achieve better results. They know how to motivate people to action and gain willing cooperation to achieve goals. This is an area many people need help with as they have become more dependent on technology. As a result, they lose the ability to effectively connect and communicate directly with people. Take time to talk directly with your people face-to-face when possible.
3. Coaching, Delegation, and Empowerment – Many people who get promoted do not know how to delegate, empower, and coach their teams to achieve results. Instead they micromanage their teams which hinders them from developing trust and personally focusing on achieving goals. They end up working in the business instead of on the business. To be considered for a promotion, start looking for opportunities to delegate tasks and coach people toward their goals. When you do this, people will notice, and you will be developing a skill that becomes more critical the higher you climb the corporate ladder.
4. Caring – Leaders must care about the people on their team as more than just a tool to get a job done. The old school dictatorial style of management is not accepted in today’s workplace. Take a genuine interest in your team so that you understand what motivates them. Once you show them you care their goals and challenges, they will be more apt to trust and follow you as a leader.
5. Commitment – As a leader, your team wants to see that you are passionate about what you do. Give your best effort, and don’t be afraid to jump in and roll up your sleeves when necessary. This will help you to gain the respect of your team.
If your goal is to get a promotion, then your attitude and people skills play a vital role in in your success. To make yourself stand out as someone valuable and promotable in your organization, focus on these golden “C’s” in 2019.