When people get stressed, anxious or upset they can become unproductive and emotional. Today, because routines have been disrupted, many people are being emotionally triggered by minor things that they would otherwise ignore. Stressed out people might be set off by work pressure, deadlines or a difference in opinion. You may not even realize how other people are perceiving you in these situations.
Without realizing it, have you let stress impact you in a way that has made you a person other people are trying to avoid? If yes, there are some things you can do to prevent overreacting to the minor stresses that you face every day.
- Create a vision and set goals for yourself. It helps to have a clear direction in your life.
- Train yourself to follow a new routine or schedule. Routines help to calm your mind so your mind can relax mentally. It also helps to take routine breaks and add in some physical activity.
- Make a priority list each day. Try to follow the list so you can check off the things that must get done before they build up and overwhelm you. Break down the big tasks into smaller pieces that can be done over time. This will allow you to mix in some easy and hard tasks to allow you to fell a sense of accomplishment.
- Celebrate the small victories as you check things off your list. Positive reinforcement can quickly make you feel a sense of pride and reinforce your success.
- Learn to say, “No” to the things that don’t align with the goals you need to accomplish. This keeps you focused and sidesteps the beast mode that causes people to attack.
- Chat with colleagues & friends. Research has shown that having people you can talk to about stressful situations in your life, like family and friends, can help reduce stress.
- Focus on improving things within your control. This is more effective than worrying about everything. Learn to identify what is out of your control and don’t stress over it.
Face your stress by creating your routine and focusing on the things you can control. This will allow you to increase your productivity while becoming more approachable, relax more and become more balanced.